Stanley had its beginning in the middle to late 1700’s when pioneers first began arriving in the wilderness of the Catawba River region. Some of the early settlers made their first homes along the banks of a small creek which emptied into a larger creek before reaching the river. This small creek was named Stanley’s for a gold prospector who had ventured into the territory and then moved on farther south. The congregation of settlers quickly began being referred to as the Stanley’s Creek Community.
The town clock is now a new landmark for Stanley after a Clock Dedication Ceremony on September 26th, 2009. Our town of Stanley is growing with new development on the horizon.