Letting go of sentimental belongings can be tough. Scrapbooks, jewellery, and childhood toys all have memories attached that can be tough to let go of. Don’t be too hard on yourself, but try to focus on getting rid of anything that you don’t think you’ll miss.
Your children may have left for college, job relocation, or a family of their own. The entire house now is quieter and definitely cleaner than before. Empty Nest Syndrome is real for everyone and its complexity is different for everyone. Downsizing isn’t just about moving to a smaller home. It also means cutting bills, preparing you for the future, and even make you feel happier and less cluttered overall.
Things to remember when it comes to navigating this new chapter of your life.
- Moving to a different home can be emotional for many people, but don’t let that discourage you. You raised your family in that house, and there are so many memories. By downsizing, you’re doing the best thing for you and your partner. By selling your home, a new family will have the chance to make their own memories filled with love.
- Don’t just reduce your living space, but the things in it, too. The truth is, we all hold on to belongings that we don’t need. This is the perfect time to sort through all your items and all of the tasks you said you’d eventually get to. Choose the items you want to give your children as inheritance – everything should have a function. The rest can be donated or sold.
- If you’re moving into a smaller place, cut the cord on any storage facilities you’re using. Unless your plans to downsize are only temporary, keeping large items stored is a waste of time and money. Storage facilities don’t come cheap, so move on from that chest of drawers that has never quite fit in your bedroom for good.
- Be brutal. Invite some friends around while you de-clutter and ask them to hold you accountable and encourage you to throw things out. Moving house can be tough, so make it as easy as possible for yourself by ensuring you’re only moving what you really need.
- The one thing you have to remember is that this is just the next chapter in your life. It’s normal to feel scared and excited, and it’s just like the feeling you had when you moved away from home for the first time. But like then, you only need to take that first step before you realize that this was a great decision.
Searching for a home? Let #DaveEdwards help you find the home the fits your new lifestyle. Check out our homes for sale or contact us at (704) 907-7989 to learn more.